Australia’s Lyon ruled out of rest of Ashes series

LONDON (Reuters) – Australian cricketer Nathan Lyon will miss the remainder of the Ashes series against England with a torn calf while playing in the second Test at Lord’s, Australian Cricket said on Monday.

Lyon suffered the injury while being inserted on the second day of Test on Thursday. He dropped out of the running to finish 11th on Saturday, scoring four runs and partnering 15th with Mitchell Stark, Reuters reports.

Australia’s absence was hampered by his inability to bowl but he went on to win the Test by 43 runs on Sunday.

With no replacements for Lyon in the revised 16-man squad, teammate Todd Murphy is likely to come into the squad after an impressive series of Test debuts in India earlier this year.

Australia coach Andrew McDonald said it was “too early to tell” if Murphy would be an automatic substitute for Lyon but added that he would prefer a specialist player in the squad to balance the attack.

“Todd is in very good shape,” McDonald said. “We like to have a spinner in our attack. It’s a different balance.

“As you saw (on Sunday) certain times we had to do it differently without Nathan Lyon at the other end, which we’re used to. It just seemed a little messy at times.”

Lyon took eight wickets in Australia’s opening series victory at Edgbaston and was playing in his 100th consecutive Test at Lord’s.

The third Test of the five-match series starts at Headingley on Thursday.

READ MORE  Australia's COVID hospital admissions, deaths rise as variant surges

Australia squad: Pat Cummins (captain), Stephen Smith, David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnos Labuschagin, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey, Mitchell Stark, Josh Hazlewood, Todd Murphy, Scott Boland, Michael Nesser, Marcus Harris, Mitchell Marsh Jimmy Pearson.

Rial







#Australias #Lyon #ruled #rest #Ashes #series

Source link

Leave a Comment