Djokovic to miss Madrid Open along with Nadal

Madrid, April 22 (BNA): World number one Novak Djokovic will miss the Madrid Open, apparently due to a fitness issue, the Spanish event reported Saturday.


“I wish you a speedy recovery, we hope to see you again as soon as possible, Nol,” the Madrid Open said on Twitter.


The Associated Press (AP) said that while no specific reason was given for Djokovic’s withdrawal, he has discussed issues with his elbow recently, mostly downplaying the extent of the problem.


Rafael Nadal, who shares Djokovic’s record 22 grand slam titles, said this week he would miss the Madrid tournament with a nagging thigh injury that has sidelined him since January’s Australian Open.


The next major is the French Open which starts on May 28th.


The 35-year-old Djokovic had been knocked out in consecutive tournaments. He lost in the round of 16 in Monte Carlo to Lorenzo Musetti. Then, on Friday, Dusan Lajovic defeated Djokovic in the quarter-finals of the Open Srpska, marking his first loss against a Serbian native in 11 years.


The Madrid Open starts on Monday. Djokovic has won the tournament three times.


M






Source link

READ MORE  USA will open Basketball World Cup against New Zealand

Leave a Comment